Home » SLB Q&A’s


Who may join?

Any certificated employee currently employed by the HCPS may be a member of the SLB.

How and when does one enroll?

Open enrollment takes place from May 1st – May 31st.  During this time, you may join the SLB by completing an enrollment form and submitting it to HCEA. Membership in the SLB begins on the first day you report to work for the Fall semester. Newly hired educators have 30 days to enroll in the SLB by completing the enrollment form or the one given to them by Human Resources office upon signing a contract. Membership will begin on the first day the teacher reports for duty.

Is there a waiting period for new enrollees?

  • Yes, there is a 60-day waiting period for teachers who enroll during the Spring Enrollment. The waiting period begins on the first duty day of the new school year.
  • New hires, have a 30-day waiting period. The waiting period for new hires begin on their first duty day.

What is the cost of enrollment? 

Upon enrolling and being accepted, a SLB member will be assessed one sick day from those currently available to him or her.

Will I be assessed additional days?

Members of the SLB will be assessed an additional sick day each September if it is determined that the Bank is in need of replenishment. In addition, an additional day may be assessed at any time of the year if the supply of days becomes dangerously low. Should it be determined that the supply of days is adequate, it is possible that no days will be assessed in a given school year.

Can I resign from the SLB?

Members may opt to resign from the bank during the open enrollment period by completing the cancellation form or upon notification from HCEA that a day is going to be assessed. When such notification is made, an ample window for resigning will be announced.

What criteria’s must be met before SLB applications are reviewed?

  • The member is suffering from an ailment or condition that is certified as incapacitating and catastrophic by a physician.
  • The member must already have depleted all available sick and personal leave.
  • The member must first be absent for 5 consecutive duty days. (The grant will become effective the first unpaid day following the 5 consecutive days of absence)
  • The application for days must be completely filled in and signed properly. The physician must specifically state that the condition is incapacitating and catastrophic.
  • The application for days must arrive in the HCEA office before the end of business on the Friday prior to the scheduled SLB committee meetings. SLB meeting days are found on our website events calendar.

What about pregnancies?

  • Pregnancy will not fall under the definition of incapacitating and catastrophic for purposes of qualifying for SLB benefits.

What about a caesarian delivery?

  • Applicants are eligible for a grant of ten (10) days for a caesarian delivery.

Are there any exclusions?

  • It must be remembered that benefits are available solely for incapacitating and catastrophic conditions.  Family situations such as illness of another member of the family, adoption, and childcare are not eligible.
  • Elective surgery is not eligible for benefits.  Complications arising from elective procedures may be eligible if they meet the normal standards for SLB grant.

Is there a limit to the number of days I may be granted?

  • The committee can grant a maximum of 30 days at a time. If additional days are needed, the applicant must make a new request upon expiration of the days already granted.
  • The actual number of days granted to an individual in a given school year can equal no more than the number of days remaining in that year.
  • There is a lifetime limit of 190 days per member.
  • Teachers in their first year of employment have a limit of 90 days of Sick Leave Bank utilization.
  • It must be noted that the bank cannot grant more days than it actually has on deposit.

Do I have to repay used SLB days?

Currently SLB benefits are granted to members and are not repaid.

What if I have an emergency and need days immediately?

In such cases, the employee must contact the HCPS Asst. Superintendent of Schools for Human Resources and request assistance. SLB days are granted only through the normal application process.

If you have further questions please contact our offices.


Jump to Content